WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, January 24, 2016

WARNING PREACHY - 01/24/2016



 Last week I wrote about a Podcast[1] that I listened to that talked about how the priorities of aviation can share the priorities of that of ministry.  These are simply to:

1.       Aviate (properly fly the plane), then to 
2.       Navigate (determine how to get to your destination and get there), and after those two priorities have been met then we can 
3.       Communicate (radio others about what is happening out here) 

Today I am going to discuss the second priority of aviation – Navigating and my Christian faith.

Last week I assessed myself and asked the question, am I really a Christian[2].  After establishing that I indeed was a Christian through my faith in the Cross and Resurrection of Jesus Christ I now want to assess if I am navigating this Christian life properly.

I always struggle with this as there are many voices in my head that attempt to guide and direct me.  I am the king of justifying my decisions and opting to do what I think is right and “good”.  Even when I read the scriptures about what was done in history by the men and women of faith before me, I really am left wide open to much interpretation in what I think God is communicating to me.  So knowing myself I have developed a more simple method of understanding the direction of God in my life.  I allow the Spirit of God to guide me directly through the scriptures, my fellow Christians, my mind, and my heart. 

Generally I am guided by these two passages from Scripture.

Matthew 22:35-40



35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”



Matthew 16:24-25



24Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

When Jesus said that all of the Law and Prophets hang on loving God and our neighbor he basically nullified the necessity to have the 10 Commandments hanging on my living room wall.  No longer was the goal to NOT murder, steal, or lie but loving God was shown to be the actuality of loving my neighbor.  For the separate ideas of loving God and Neighbor are inseparably intertwined. 

John verifies this when he writes:


1 John 4:20



“Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.”


In my understanding here the epitome of loving God is in the action of loving my neighbor.  This loving action then is not just a verbal ascent.  For the words of Jesus in Matthew 16:24-25 are words of personal sacrifice:  As Jesus sacrificed to save (love) me I am instructed likewise to sacrifice myself in order to save (love) others (my neighbors). 

This is my general guidance in my day-to-day life as a follower of Christ.  But for a more specific guidance I seek confirmation for what I believe the Holy Spirit has put on my heart and mind by my spouse, Christian friends who pray with me, or other things that seem almost coincidental (but are actually in direct response to specific prayer for guidance) and most of the time my decisions are directly confirmed by my wife who has prayed for specificity as well.

When I put it all together I know that God is leading me when my self-interested humanity is fighting against what I believe He is leading me to.  This may sound funny but it is true.  When, in the past, I was happy to do what I believed God was calling me to, I discovered that it was not God at all but my own sense of accomplishing what I wanted and convinced myself of what God wanted too.

So navigating this Christian life is learning to be directed by the Holy Spirit.  It’s not a simple three-step process but the intricate nuance that is only known through the real and living relationship with God through Jesus our savior.  And it must be noted that this is how I navigate personally.  It is unique in my personal relationship with Jesus and may not look like your own navigational method.  I would like to think that my way can be easily transferable to others but it would be foolish of me to think that other Christians are not likewise unique in their own relationships with our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment