WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, January 3, 2016

WARNING PREACHY - 01/03/2016


The Mystery…

One day I struggled with the concept of a creator of existence, the concept of a god.  I was at a point in my life when I realized that there were a lot of claims about this creator and creation but I really had no idea what was what.  I simply prayed out “God, if you exist, I really need to know what is real and I really want to know what the truth is.”  I was raised Christian but I really did not buy it; I actually despised church and was expecting that the “truth” lay closer to Hinduism or Buddhism.

There is a space between the world of men and the world of God; a chasm really.  This is a space where we humans understand the world with our five literal senses.  But the world of God is different and beyond our five senses, it is strictly spiritual.  This world of God requires a sixth-sense, which every human has, but it is only understood through faith.

The problem of faith is that there is much to choose from:  Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, and New Age just to name a few.  Then to make things worse each religion is broken down into fractured denominations and sects.  In the early 2000’s I learned that there were over 115 types of Baptist denominations in the Christian religion in America.  And that is just the Baptists.  I wonder how many more denominations there are among the Romanists, the Orthodox, the Lutherans, the Presbyterians, the Episcopalians, the Congregationalists, the Methodists, and the Pentecostals.  It makes the head spin.  I believe this pool of muddy water is the reason that so many people have faith only in their own made up brand of whatever makes them feel best.  And really, who can blame them?

But back to the space between us and God:  No matter what we presently believe, what our faith is, there is still this spiritual space that exists and it is a mystery.  And somewhere in that mystery is the truth of creation, the truth about God.

When I prayed to the creator that day long ago I really had no faith.  No idea what was what and I was ready for some truth rather than the fictional reality that my hubris made-up and guided me through life.  All I wanted was truth, no matter what that truth was.

Within about four weeks of my prayer I was confronted with a bunch of claims of truth but one that stuck in my craw was the resurrection from the dead.  The concept that the Creator of the universe became a human who died on a Roman cross to pay some cosmic price for the sins of mankind, which included me and my sins, and then was brought back to life after three days dead sounded preposterous to me. 

But it nagged at me.

It nagged at me that the resurrection from the dead is a statistical impossibility.  I might as well have waited for the clothes dryer tumble drying my laundry to accidentally fold my clothes upon completion or the cosmos to come into existence by an atom of matter forming into existence by accident and then doing a Big Bang.  But nag at me as it did I was aware that the Cross of Christ and his resurrection were the mystery that no other religion proclaimed.  It felt true to me.  So in a leap of faith I asked Jesus that if it was true, if he was really alive in this mysterious spiritual reality that I wanted him to do something to me.  I would dedicate my life to Him if it really were true. 

So He did.

In the next year I changed drastically.  My interests changed, my desires changed, my philosophies of life changed, and my actions as well as my reactions changed.  My life’s focus became less about me and more about others.  Today I am still changing albeit more slowly.  I know I don’t know everything and yet I do know that connecting with God begins at the Cross of Jesus and His resurrection from the dead.  The resurrection is the mystery that can only be realized by faith.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.  (Colossians 4:2-6)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+4%3A2-6&version=NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment