WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Do I Believe in Hell? – 11/21/2018


WARNING PREACHY…

The other day during a service a man blurted out “DOES HELL REALLY EXIST?”  My response was immediate and without reservation, “Yes”.  

I thought more about his question and it dawned on me that in over 15 years of full-time ministry and preaching over some 2000 times, I have never once spoke specifically on the topic of hell.  Why not?  Simply, I didn’t want to.  I view the topic of hell largely as a tool to scare people into making a confession of faith in Jesus; at least that’s how I’ve typically seen it used.  But the man’s question made me address the issue and I know that just because I may indeed have seen the topic of hell abused, the abuse that I have experienced did not give me allowance to shirk the subject all together because, after all, hell is a very real biblical topic that is addressed by even Jesus himself.  And so this week I did address the topic of hell.
---

1 Thessalonians 5:9
For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

God has not appointed us to suffer wrath.  What wrath?  Separation from Him?  His punishment?  His damnation?  

Yes, yes, and yes.

I really hate that hell, in its many facets, exists.  When I was a new Christian I hated that I was forced to make a choice for Christ in the first place.  I felt like God dealt me a hand with a loaded deck.  I felt that it would have been better to have never been born than to ever have had the opportunity of not trusting in Jesus and going to hell.  But resent is as I did I was glad that I understood it.  I was glad that I will not endure His wrath and damnation on Judgment Day and experience being separated from Him for all eternity.  I understood that people may make a decision to not accept Jesus and thus God will give them their heart’s desire for all eternity, but I still did/do not like the end result for those who chose to ignore Him.  Even though I don’t like it, the reality is that hell exists for those who refuse to play the spiritual hand they have been dealt.

Is hell a real place, a physical place, a place with a location?  Again, yes, yes, and yes -- but I don’t know exactly where and how it is.

Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 21:6-8
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

There are other passages that talk about hell but this is the one that always sticks in my mind.  The idea that there is a lake of burning sulphur prepared for the devil and his demons and those who will not hope in the Victory of Jesus’ Cross scares me more than just a little.

While I do accept that hell exists, I will acknowledge that much of how people view it in our minds is from made-up fictional art from such writers as the 13th century’s Dante’s[1] Inferno[2].  The devil is never described in the bible as wearing a red spandex suit with a tail, horns, and pitch fork.  But again, just because someone has made up an image of the devil and hell does not mean that they do not have an existence.

In the end I believe hell exists because as much as I hate the idea and the concept is a seemingly extreme punishment, I also get it.  If I were to sacrifice my son in order to give someone a free pass from such a punishment then I would angrily throw the book at you.   Seriously, if I subjected myself (and my son) to the torment of a Roman cross in order to make a way for you to live eternally in spiritual bliss, and you refused to believe in and worship him, I would be livid that I wasted his life on you for nothing.   Even as I write this I will admit that I have never looked at it from this point of view before and I am beginning to understand a little bit better why it exists.  As they say, “walk a mile in another’s shoes.”

In the end I am not happy how the concept of hell has been used as a scare tactic but the reality is that it’s a good one and needs to be seriously considered when thinking about our eternal souls.

Jude 1:5
Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

This verse is about when God delivered the children of Israel from their slavery in Egypt.  He delivered them all but some would not believe so God destroyed them.  In the same way, Jesus redeemed mankind from our slavery to sin and death when he died upon the Cross, and again, there will be some people who will just not believe it.

My prayer is for you, that if you have not yet bent a knee to Jesus the son of God, that you will place your trust in and believe in Him.

Many blessings to you on your faith journey…


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Alighieri
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

No comments:

Post a Comment