WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, July 16, 2017

What do You See? – 7/16/2017



WARNING PREACHY…

The whole story of David and Goliath is found in 1 Samuel 17, take five minutes to read it if you are unfamiliar with it.

What I want to look at specifically this morning are the verses in 1 Samuel 17:28-37.

David was just a kid and all of his brothers were at the war between the Israelites and the Philistines.  He was young enough and small enough that he wasn’t allowed to go to battle, so his job was to stay home to tend the flocks and take food to his older brothers; who were at the front line of battle.

On one occasion, David was at the front line and heard the largest of the Philistine warriors taunting the Israelites to fight by insulting and blaspheming God.   David was incensed and started asking the soldiers of Israel what the King offered to the man who would defend God’s honor and “remove this disgrace from Israel.”

Starting in verse 28, David’s brother over-heard him and started telling him that he was too small to kill the giant.  Eventually work got back to King Saul that David wanted to battle the Giant but he too (verse 33) told David that he was not able to do this because he was too small and inexperienced.

In verse 34 David told the king that he had killed both a lion and a bear with his bare hands while working in the fields and as sure as God delivered David from them, He would deliver him from this giant.  The King was convinced and told David to go with God’s blessing.

The rest of the story is that David went to battle against the giant and succeeded in killing him and taking his head off with his very own sword.

As I read the story of David and Goliath I am reminded of David’s great faith that “God’s got this.”  A dozen times a day I worry or fret over one situation or another and David’s faith tells me that my days would be much more peaceful if I would just relax and look at all of my situations with the same confidence in God that David had; easier said than done I know, my situations often feel to me like I am fighting a lion, a bear, or a giant.

But I am going to bet that if I stop looking at my situations, or assessing how I feel, and focus on the ability of the honor of my God, then I too, like David, will find victory over the obstacles that come against me.




No comments:

Post a Comment