WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Chris Cornell sings Show Me How to Live – 7/12/2017



WARNING PREACHY…

A month ago or so, singer Chris Cornell[1] committed suicide after a concert in Detroit.  I was not really a fan, nor had I ever been to one of his concerts, but he was an incredible musician and I loved most everything he created.

Since his death, I have been listening to his music through his career of performing in a bunch of different bands and projects.  He did a song “Show Me How to Live” that he sang when he was with Audioslave and I wanted to comment on it.


Show Me How to Live
Audioslave

And with the early dawn
Moving right along
I couldn't buy and eyeful of sleep
And in the aching night under satellites
I was not received
Built with stolen parts
A telephone in my heart
Someone get me a priest
To put my mind to bed
This ringing in my head
Is this a cure or is this a disease

Nail in my hand
From my creator
You gave me life
Now show me how to live

Nail in my hand
From my creator
You gave me life
Now show me how to live

And in the after birth
On the quiet earth
Let the stains remind you
You thought you made a man
You better think again
Before my role defines you

Nail in my hand
From my creator
You gave me life
Now show me how to live

Nail in my hand
From my creator
You gave

I’m not going to try to figure out the depths and details of this song but the chorus begs to be commented on.

Nail in my hand
From my creator

I find it interesting that Cornell was of the opinion that there was a creator of this world.  One may argue that this was just a song and he was not trying to infer this at all, but he has other songs that were somewhat spiritual in nature, and it leads me to believe otherwise.

On my deathbed I will pray
To the gods and the angels
Like a pagan to anyone
Who will take me to heaven
(Like a Stone – Audioslave[2])

He seems to understand that he has the curse of death in his life but he’s not exactly sure what to do about it.

You gave me life
Now show me how to live

These words are sung almost in an angry tone; like someone who is upset that he has been born into this world but doesn’t have the directions for life.  I can sort of relate...

When I first became a Christian, in 1994, I found I was upset because I was placed in the situation of having to live according to the will of Christ when all I really wanted to do was to live my life -- my way.  But the resurrection would no longer allow me to simply live my life for myself, and I could no longer deny that there was a moral obligation on my life.  My problem was that I wasn’t yelling to God to show me how to live, rather I already knew and I didn’t necessarily like the call to a new life of selflessness and sacrificial existence.

In Christ, we have all been shown how to live; for Jesus lived a life of selfless abandon led by the Spirit of a Holy God who cared for the poor and the neediest among us.  And he called us to pick up our crosses and follow him daily[3].

Chris Cornell was an extraordinary talent and I am sorry that he ended his own life.  I wish he didn’t struggle like he did and I wish he could have been around longer so he could have met the savior and learned the answer to his question.

John 10:10

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.



[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cornell
[2] Like a Stone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-t_Y-AzWY
[3] Matthew 16:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment