WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Symptom - 7/10/2016




WARNING PREACHY

A true story (I think).

A church had a problem with squirrels making nests in the church building and the congregants were at their wits end trying to get rid of the squirrels.  One day members of the church were meeting to discuss the problem when woman who had been in the church for many generations had a suggestion about how to get the squirrels to go away, and never come back.  “What we must do, and precedent proves this to be true, if we want the squirrels to leave and never come back, we need only to confirm them.”

While I think this is a true story, it feels like a satire.  Either way, it plays into an epidemic that is spoken of in churches today.  One church’s members lament that their children are no longer coming to church, another congregation complains that they cannot get young people to attend, and another church has a rotating door of new people coming in and going out despite the many programs that they have in operation.  All the leaders and ministers of these churches are seeking to figure out how best to attract and retain people.  But I think the fact that people are not staying in churches is proof positive of just one problem – Jesus isn‘t there.  

Please don’t get me wrong, Jesus may indeed be in a church but the fact that people are leaving indicates that the people leaving are not experiencing Jesus – or if they did, they are no longer.  Children not returning to an aged congregation or a high turnover rate to a young church communicates the same thing – there is a disconnect between the people and God.

What’s the solution?  Somehow the people need to connect with God through the Lord Jesus Christ in a very meaningful way.  This can be through music, bible studies, fellowship, various liturgies, and the like but people need to meet with Jesus in a real and revelatory way.

In the book of Revelation, the Apostle John had an experience where, in the Spirit, he encountered the Lord Jesus Christ.  John describes the event in the first chapter like this:

17 When I saw him [Jesus], I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.   (Revelation 1:17-18)

My question is this.  When was the last time you or I have had an experience with Jesus that had dropped us to our faces as though dead?  When was the last time we have had a revelation of the actual living Lord Jesus Christ?

I suspect that when a church becomes good at helping people actually experience Jesus, they will no longer need to ask how to retain their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment