WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, November 22, 2015

WARNING:PREACHY - 11/22/2015



Colossians 3:12-25 - 4:1 (Part 4)

Wives, Husbands, Children, Fathers…

Today, it is unpopular to tell a woman to obey her husband.  In fact, it is not even popular today to assume that a wife is even a “her” or a husband a “he”.  However, popular or not, the Apostle Paul deals with the Christian ethic of the traditional ‘He and She’ family.  And what is necessary, I think, is to notice that the husband/father (he) is the one who bears the brunt of the Christian responsibility. 

Wives (she) are to obey/submit while a husband (he) is to love his wife just as Jesus loved the Church. (Ephesians 5 gives more detail to the marital instructions.)

Right after my wife and I had married we had a fight.  I prayed that God would show her how she was wrong so it could be quickly resolved.  And yes, while I admit that I am the guilty party in most marital disagreements, this one time I was actually in the right.  So I prayed hard and begged God to resolve the issue by showing her her fault.  After a while God spoke to me (yeah, He speaks quite clearly at times) and said “Go apologize to your wife.”  I argued with God and explained to Him why I was actually in the right and apologizing would be wrong as I was actually the offended party.  Again He told me to go apologize.  So I crossed my arms like Jonah and refused to budge.  And then again He said to me that I was to go apologize and love my wife just as Jesus first loved me.  Romans 5:8 states that while I was still a sinner Jesus loved me and died for me.  Basically, Jesus said He was sorry for my sins before I ever knew my sins existed.  (i.e. Father, forgive them for they know not what they are doing.”)

It seems to me that if a husband is actually loving his wife as Jesus loved him then the wife might not have a problem obeying/submitting to his leadership in the relationship.

Likewise, children are told to obey their fathers but the fathers are instructed not to embitter their children.  I think the whole “love as Jesus loved” is the key to not embittering our children.  I suspect children are in part embittered by the “do as I say, not as I do” type of fathering that happens as examples for children.  Children aren’t dumb; they seem to pick up on hypocrisy rather quickly.   

For converts of our day, this may not be a new ethic.  But in the days of the Apostle Paul it was a new paradigm in thinking.  In Paul’s day wives were property and children, if not expendable, were of negligible value.  But to the new Christian (of Paul’s day) who was a husband and father who understood the death of Jesus for his sins and new life, this new Christian ethic must have been seriously weird and different.

Husbands and fathers, why don’t we try this.  Let us go and love our families as sacrificially as Jesus first loved us.  I’m willing to bet that when we do we will see a change for the better in our family dynamics.  So go ahead, read Colossians 3 again and get a glimpse of a whole new world, the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in Heaven.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3%3A22-4%3A1&version=NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment