WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Who Are You? – 10/15/2017



WARNING PREACHY…

Often, when I look at my children, I am overwhelmingly amazed at the reality that they are the products of me and my wife; literally everything from each of our individual histories make our children a unique individual in their own right.

From very early in Christian history, theologians and philosophers have been trying to look at Jesus and pick out which part is from the humanity of Mary and which is the deity of God. The effort is called Christology and there are a variety of reasons for doing this, but I believe that it is ultimately a futile effort which distorts the uniqueness of our Redeemer.

When scientists separate hydrogen molecules from water, they are left with oxygen, and what they began with is no longer water. I realize that to take out from my children what is there mother, leaves, well, it would leave just me.  In the same way, I believe, the effort to separate the humanity of Jesus from the deity of Christ would leave something other than the individual Jesus Christ who walked this world who is the way, the truth, and the life. (John 14:6)

Luke 1:30-35

30 The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; 33 and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.” 34 Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

Colossians 1:15-18

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
 
I often feel that my life is a big adventure, something akin to Indiana Jones’ adventures; my purpose is to discover God in all the nooks and crannies of this life and to always be exploring who He is.  In the person of Jesus Christ I have discovered a mother load and I suspect that it will take all of eternity to explore all that He has to show us.

Ephesians 3:8-10

To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things; 10 so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places.

Who are You?

I ask this question because it makes personal my Christian life that I can often subjugate to a corporate and democratic mindset of managing.  As I remember that my Christian life is supposed to be a great adventure of discovering God, then I realize that I am less inclined to be distracted by the business of the faith.

When was the last time you went on a grand adventure that promised not to reveal the labyrinth of the halls of discovery until you were in the thick of it?  It definitely takes courage to go this way but if you want, you can come with me.  

Think it over. I’ll be here when you want to come with.

No comments:

Post a Comment