WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Thursday, July 19, 2018

What Have You Done? - 7/19/2018


WARNING PREACHY
 
2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
---

The other day a gentleman was talking to me about how he could not believe that Jesus could forgive him his sins; he kept telling me that “You don’t know what I’ve done.”  He then proceeded to recite for me a laundry list of his offences and evil deeds from his 60 years of life.

After listening to him I said, “You’ve done a great job telling me what it is that you have done but you’ve told me nothing of what Jesus has done.  When you stop focusing on yourself and begin to focus on Jesus, then you may well learn to trust him and believe that you are indeed forgiven.”
I believe this sentiment is for us Christians as well.

It is too often that I have been in church during the time of Communion only to have the minister lead the congregation to focus on their personal sins.  The mood is generally somber and reflective as we congregants are urged to feel the sorrow of our deeds that covered Jesus upon his cross.  I however think that this might be wrong; I think that when we Christians share the Cup that we should be focusing on and rejoicing in all that Jesus has done instead of belly-aching over what exactly we have done.  By faith we are redeemed by the blood of the lamb and in that reality we must give thanks and celebrate!  To do anything less seems to not trust our Lord when He tells us that we are a New Creations.

I think we all have a tendency to think too much about what we have done and not enough time thinking about what Jesus did.

---
Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment