WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Whom do You Worship? – 10/22/2017



WARNING PREACHY…


C.S. Lewis--The Problem of Pain (1940)

“…God wills our good, and our good is to love Him (with that responsive love proper for creatures) and to love Him we must know Him: and if we know Him, we shall in fact fall on our faces.  If we do not, that only shows that what we are trying to love is not yet God—though it may be the closest approximation that our thought and fantasy can attain.” 

When I read the quote from C.S. Lewis above I am shocked a little.  I am shocked because I know the statement is true.  I am also shocked by it because if I am going to be transparent, I must admit that it has been a long time since I fell on my face in worship of the One who died for me.

I used to fall on my face in humble adoration, but that was long ago when my faith was still simple and fresh.  Today, I think I struggle because my faith has become less fresh and more academic in nature; I over-think the simplicity of grace that was given me on the Cross.

Lewis’s statement makes me reassess myself and forces me to verify what exactly I worship: Jesus Christ who is alive or the oft popular Happy-slappy Jesus so prevalent in today’s culture?  I had to admit that whomever I worshiped didn’t force me to fall on my face before his supremacy.

Maybe I am the only one who is shocked a little when I read Lewis’s quote, if I am, please forgive me for wasting your time.

Matthew 2:11

After coming into the house they [the Wise Men] saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell to the ground and worshiped Him.

John 18:6

When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

Acts 9:3b-4a

"Suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him [Saul].  He fell to the ground…"

Revelation 1:17

1When I [John] saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.  


No comments:

Post a Comment