WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Give Me Jesus – 5/7/2017



WARNING PREACHY…

God is not so much about fixing things that have gone wrong in our lives as He is about finding us in our brokenness and giving us Christ.” ~Sweet & Viola[1]

This quote, in the context of the book, is proclaiming a simple transformative revelation and relationship with the person of Jesus Christ; relationship for the sake of the relationship itself and not what we humans can get out of it.  Many of us Christians “love Jesus” because of the feelings we get at the Sunday morning worship time at church, or because we get to go to heaven when we die, or even because we are still waiting for our miracle, but what we Christians should desire is simply a relationship with Jesus, the Christ, only because of who He is.

When I married my wife, I had visions of how she would improve my life as we lived our lives together.  Truthfully, she has not lived up to most of the ideals that I had, and to be candidly honest, I haven’t lived up to them either.  We are now in our 19th year of marriage and what we’ve both learned (and are learning) is that we are in relationship with each other regardless of any benefit that we might get out of it.  We should be selflessly devoted to each other, for the sake of the other; simply for the sake of the other.  What a terrible relationship it would be if we were only in it for what we could get from it.

The quote above puts into words and helps me to consider my relationship with Jesus.  Am I seeking Him for what He can do for me, or how I can feel, or am I seeking Him simply for who He is?

Honestly?  I have to admit that I too often fall into the trap of caring for Jesus because of what I get out of Him and not simply because He alone is worthy of my love and honor.   

I need and desire to change that.

1 Corinthians 2:2

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.


[1] Jesus Manifesto: Restoring the Supremacy and Sovereignty of Jesus Christ (AMAZON--http://a.co/02bJ9Or)

No comments:

Post a Comment