WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, April 23, 2017

An Introduction – 4/23/2017



WARNING PREACHY…

Ephesians 2:4-10

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast, for we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

---

Please allow me to introduce you to my old friend Jesus.  Jesus…  Not a biblical character, a doctrinal concept, a theological thesis, an ideological bent, a political agenda, a religious nicety, and not even a historical saint or document, just my friend Jesus.

Jesus and I have drifted apart over the years.  Not that we aren’t still good friends but through the time I can see that I’ve gotten quite distracted.  I used to spend a lot of time with Him, seeking His active involvement in my daily life and doing the things that He would help me to do.  Together, we used to talk all the time and He would be with me through my days. 

Like one time, when I and a few friends were taking a day trip to Chicago, and the van I was driving broke down on the expressway.  I told my friends to remain with the van and pray while I walked to the next exit to call a tow-truck.  I started walking and within a few minutes a car pulled over in front of me and offered me a ride.  The driver was an elderly woman and her passenger was another elderly woman.  I asked them why they would picked up a single guy on the side of the highway when it isn’t safe to do so, and they said that they could see that I was broken down and they had a peace about it, so they did.  Some people might say that I got lucky but I’ve been to statistics class and I know better.  No, I know Jesus gave those ladies peace so that they would stop for me; that’s just the kind of friend Jesus is. 

This is just one instance of many more instances of Jesus being with me in my life, and I miss those days.  Somewhere along the way I got busy and sidetracked with other “pressing and important” matters.  You know how life gets: marriage, kids, friends, work, and church.

Anyway, I want to introduce you to my friend Jesus, He is in the business of restoring relationships; specifically our relationships with God. 

A long time ago our great grandparents (Adam and Eve) were estranged from God and He has been trying to get the family back together ever since.  The problem is that humans are funny creatures; most of us have a problem with humbling ourselves, so we just avoid Him.  We don’t like saying “sorry” for things we do wrong, let alone apologizing for something our great-grandparents (whom we’ve never met) did a long time ago.  So God solved the problem and He apologized first.  Because He loves you and me, He sent Jesus to tell us that we can come home.  That He doesn’t want to be estranged from us any longer and eagerly wants to be friends.  Jesus has gone so far as to fight the devil for us (the one who created the estrangement in the first place) to bring us back to God.  He took quite a licking but in the end He bested that old devil.

I realize that as I am introducing you to my old friend Jesus, I’ve missed Him.  I’m going to have to give Him a call and get reconnected with Him again.  Anyway, He’s really a great guy; you should give him a ring, I know you will just love Him. 

Remember, His name is Jesus and I told him to expect your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment