WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Eternity and Cremation - 11/20/2016


WARNING PREACHY…


I shouldn’t be writing this right now, I just drank a bottle of wine.  Ok, not really a bottle, my wife nursed a half-glass.  It wasn’t anywhere near 11% ABV or I would have went to sleep a half bottle ago, but I’m relaxed enough to not care if anyone knows that I’ve been imbibing.


I did a funeral today.  It was my first Romanian Orthodox funeral.  They called on me because the woman was cremated, and so her Romanian Orthodox church would not do her funeral.  It was fun because I got to do the service of the Colac bread before the memorial meal.  It was a nice ceremony but I’m off point.


The point I am trying to make is that there is not a problem about being cremated.  I am positive that those who disagree with me will supply a number of bible passages that prove otherwise, so I will provide my reasoning and let you decide.


Jesus died on the Cross for us while we were yet sinners.  (Romans 5:8)


This means Jesus died for us…  He took the shame of the Cross upon Himself, for you and me, and He had nails pounded into His hands or wrists and feet, voluntarily, in order to set us free from the curse of sin and death.  But since He did this I do not now believe that He has become so particular that the remains of our earthly bodies’ actually matter. 


When He died for us, He died while we were in a state of unrepentant sin.  We were actively in the hood or in the bar and living our lives ignorant and separate of Him.  We were looking at the stars and our horoscopes expecting the world to work according to common knowledge of the pagan traditions and the ruler of the air.  But Jesus went to the Cross, in order to redeem us all from the death and sin that originally separated us from our Creator.


God went to great lengths to set us free, even sacrificing His own Son, Himself Emmanuel, on the Cross.


And since He did this, are we now to believe that He would be so petty as to reject those of us who have been cremated?  That everyone who has ever been lost at sea, everyone who did not get out of the burning home in time, and everyone who has been destroyed in the myriad of other human tragedies is now rejected by the blood that Jesus shed in order to redeem mankind?


Some may decide that God really is that petty, but I cannot believe that this is true.  I cannot believe for a moment that the sacrifice of Jesus, and the shedding of His blood, is not so eternal that it doesn't overcomes every human tragedy and instance of human destruction.


The blood of Jesus covers over the spiritual sin of mankind, and so it also must cover the entire physical tragedy of humanity as well.  The tipping point for me is the question between the power of the blood vs the power of this physical realm.


I guess the point is that I am confident in the blood and not the doctrines of men.  And I would encourage you to know the Savior who died, was buried, and resurrected from the grave, so that you may have His confidence as well. 

I could be wrong in this, but I am at total peace having hope in the blood that my Savior so graciously shed for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment