WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Revelation - 06/05/2016


WARNING PREACHY

11 For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel.  12 For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. 14 And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. (Galatians 1:11-14)

The other day I was asked what I meant when I said that I had met Jesus – the dead man who was raised back to life.  As I write this, I do not have the words to convey what I mean.  It is a spiritual reality in me that I cannot really explain, but the Jesus I met is reality all the same.

My experience differs from the Apostle Paul’s (above) in that I did not physically see, nor audibly hear, Jesus when I met him, but the resultant change of my character certainly was.  Similar to Paul, I was happy in my life and I was NOT looking for Jesus.  Paul was actually looking to destroy Christianity in order to protect his own religion, and I was just simply looking to learn what was true about the spiritual, what was actually real.

There is a prominent strain of thought today in Christianity, called Calvinism[1], which explains that man is not simply a Christian because he has chosen to be but only because God has chosen him to be.  I am not at all a strict proponent of this idea, but I do recognize that God’s choosing is a requirement for each person’s process of becoming a Christian.  In Paul’s experience, the appearance of Jesus was all God’s doing as Paul was actively seeking to destroy the budding Christianity.  When Jesus appeared to him, on the road to Damascus, Paul was dumbfounded and physically struck blind for a few days as he processed what had just happened to him.  As for myself, I was not trying to destroy Christianity, but I was certainly not at all interested in the idea of becoming a Christian either.  In both of our cases however, we were faced with the reality of a resurrected Jesus – a man whom we believed did not exist.

In the verses above, I think the 12th verse is the pivotal verse for me, “For I did not receive it (the Gospel) from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”  Of course there was much for me to learn as a Christian, but it was not until after I had a very real encounter with the living Jesus that something inside of me had changed.

When I met Jesus, something inside of me died while a new spirit inside of me seemed to take over.  It really was a spiritual something that happened and I do not have better words to explain it.  My friend who asked me about my experience heard my story and in the end decided that she was happy to continue to believe in reincarnation of all things.  I didn’t argue with her.  What would the point of that have been?  I simply told her that I would pray that she too would meet with the living Jesus whom she is quite convinced does not exist.

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)


[1] Named after French theologian John Calvin from the 15th Century.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin

No comments:

Post a Comment