WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Sunday, May 1, 2016

My Lack of Concern - 05/01/2016


WARNING: PREACHY

I’ve been considering lately my lack of concern for those who don’t care about their spiritual lives.  Many of my fellows would say that I am not being Christian in this but this is where I'm at.  I’m fully engaged with non-believers who are concerned for their spiritual lives and I am very happy to work with and pray for them, but for those who could care less, I really don’t feel like God is directing me to stress about them in all of my free time.  And yes, my voice dripped with sarcasm as I wrote that last comment.

I have an acquaintance.   One day while meeting with him he made an off comment with a hint of sneer in his tone, “Do you want me to repent too?”

I really wasn’t sure where this came from or, how to respond, so I just told him “Nope”.

He told me that a mutual friend told him that his life’s problems were because he would not repent of his sins.

“Do you believe that Jesus Christ rose back from the dead and is alive right now?”  I asked.

“No, I believe that when you’re dead, you’re dead, end of story.”  

“So you don’t believe historically that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and was brought back to life by God on the third day?”

“Nah, I don’t even believe in a god.  Like I said, when you’re dead you’re dead.”

While he knows that I am a minster of the gospel, our relationship has always only been business related, so he knows me well enough that I wouldn't get offended by his admission of disbelief, and I knew him well enough that I knew he would understand when I said, “Then by all means don’t repent, for what’s the use?  If you don’t believe in God, and the resurrected Jesus from the dead, then Christianity doesn’t have anything for you.”

We continued talking for a bit and I told him about 1 Corinthians 15 where the apostle Paul wrote about the necessity of the belief in the resurrection from the dead for the Christian faith not to be a fool’s errand.  Then we concluded our business and we parted until the next time.

As I think about it now, I may have been a little too flippant about the whole thing.  Of course Christian morality can benefit even the non-believer in this world but I don’t think this was what I needed to stress with him at that moment.  I felt like to preach a Christian morality to him would not bring him to faith.  At best, if he accepted it, he might rid his life of some present irritations but nothing that would last long, as I believe that once the immediate problems were solved his faithless life would create new problems.  Sort of like putting salve on the burned fingers of a child who is unwrapping a new carton of firecrackers, I decided to stay clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment