WARNING - Work in Progress

WARNING - Work in Progress
WARNING - Work in Progress

Friday, December 25, 2015

WARNING PREACHY - 12/25/2015 (ADVENT 5)



 A Christmas Day Memory – 2015

I remember my first Christmas as a Christian.  I was living in New Jersey and my housemates were all gone to their family’s homes.  I wasn’t sad to be away from home, more bored really.

Across the road from my house lived a woman my age with a son who was just over 12-months old.  They too were alone for Christmas and we met for an awkward Christmas lunch.  We didn’t really know each other but we were neighborly enough to share a meal together. 

I pieced together her situation.  She was a young woman with a baby whose father was out of the picture.  She worked at a gentleman’s club in Newark and if she had family she never mentioned them.  We talked politely over lunch, we agreed to do a movie or something in the future and I left.  That afternoon I literally wept for her and her son.  Being with her had reminded me of how destitute the human situation could be and realized the spiritual shockwave of Emmanuel (God with us) on that first Christmas morning.

While I wept and prayed for the woman and her son I recognized the very real hope of the spiritual in our physical world.  For in the babe in the manger life had been breathed anew in the sons of Adam.

21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20:21-22)

Over the next few months we went to see a movie or two and she came to church with me but then she moved on.  She went to another state and I never heard from her again.  My prayer this morning is that she knows the reality of Christ in her physical life and the Spirit in her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment